In the middle of the technological era, and with the widespread use of the Internet and social networks it is very common that there is a misuse of social networks, but we know the risks and dangers of social networks, do we know them? Do we know the consequences of what they can cause?
In this article, I will explain 10 dangers of social networks as well as a series of tips so you can use them safely.
It really is a very useful article for the whole family because we are going to see the main dangers of social networks for teenagers and children.
The Dangers of Social Networks for children and young people
We will start with a list of risks and dangers of social networks for children and young people, and also in adults.
The impersonation in the field of social networks is to create a false profile in social networks, in order to hide their real identity. If the profile does not carry a photo of the person it is not a crime, but if you put a photo of that person you are already committing a crime.
Normally people do this crime to make online and physical purchases, get credits, etc.
What do I do if they have supplanted my identity?
- We try to get evidence, for example, a screenshot.
- Report it also on the social network. For example on Facebook, it is on this link, Twitter here.
- Report to the Security Forces and Bodies, as soon as possible. The National Police has a website that can be done online.
Tips to prevent phishing:
- Try to be cautious with our publications on the internet.
- Do not share anything with unknown people. Facebook is a place where friend requests are made from people you’ve never seen or tried. We don’t really know who is behind that profile, so watch out. The same is valid for Twitter, Instagram.
Phishing is a technique in which data, keys, etc. are stolen from the user. Making him believe that he is in a trusted place.
According to an article by Kaspersky, 60% of ‘phishing’ in social networks is related to fake Facebook pages. You have to be very careful with this danger of social networks.
Phishing attacks, Adware, Trojans to subtract bank data, ransomware are the order of the day. Being Facebook, the one that leads all this type of attacks.
Tips to prevent phishing:
- Do not answer emails that ask us for the keys of the bank, we will NEVER ask our bank to provide the keys and less by email.
- Look at the URL, which bears the prefix HTTPS and not HTTP.
- Has the antivirus updated, even if it’s free?
- Change passwords frequently.
You may like- 4 Tips to create strong passwords
Fake news is fake news created with the intention of deceiving. Normally most of the fake news is meant to get money.
We have all read fake news. Unfortunately, this modality is increasing on the internet and they do a lot of damage, both to people, companies, and governments. It is one of the most dangers of social network effects.
Currently, countries are trying to contain this modality and billions of € are spent trying to curb something as harmful as the Fake News.
We all know what it costs to create a reputation and with fake news, the reputation can collapse in a heartbeat.
You may also like- Kobe net worth
Tips to prevent fake news:
- Confirm the news in another medium.
- Do a reverse image search on Google.
- Be wary of news and articles that are not signed.
You may also like- Couchtuner rocks
Today, companies seek to improve performance to increase production, however, it is common to see a worker, reviewing their social networks during working hours.
Social networks have a negative impact on the productivity of a company.
Companies are taking action and in many of them, computers have blocked access to social networks. In some companies, workers are starting to be forced to leave their cell phones at the entrance in lockers designed for this purpose.
You may like- rom hustle
There is the talk of “face absenteeism” which is to be in your workplace, looking at your WhatsApp on your mobile, checking social networks …
Social networks can turn many times against us. We all know about people we have on social networks that take photos in full boil of the party and upload it to the networks. Not to mention, when they tag you in a photo, doing such a thing …
The HR of companies, when selecting candidates, many of them, use social networks to know a little more about the candidate, companies;
Tips to make good use of social networks at work:
- It is important to instill the workers of the good social networks and the consequences that this has.
- I do not try to put applications so that workers do not see absolutely anything, but to show that during work hours you should not use social networks.
Cyberbullying is one of the great dangers of social networks for teenagers, young people and really for all those people who make inappropriate use of social networks.
Many children surf the Internet and come into contact with people they do not know in the context of anonymity, and sometimes, of impunity given by the Internet.
Cyberbullying, or cyberbullying, is the use of digital media to harass a person or group of people, through personal attacks, disclosure of confidential or false information among other media.
We all get over when we listen to the news or read the newspapers, this type of harassment.
In this case, the use of social networks is to threaten, blackmail, outrage, children, youth … It is currently one of the most important social network dangers and the authorities are studying how to solve this type of harassment.
Nowadays, children have a mobile from a very young age, they take it to school, WhatsApp groups or another program are created.
Tips to prevent cyberbullying:
- If you are connected and they are bothering you, leave that connection and ask for help.
- If you are suffering harassment, try to save all possible evidence.
- Who is harassing you tell him to stop?
- Block people who are bothering you.
- If you suffer threats, seek help immediately. You can call the police and file a complaint.
- If we are witnessing that someone is suffering harassment, we should not look the other way, we must act.
When we register on social networks, we give our private data that in theory should be safe, but unfortunately, they are subject to attacks and to know what will happen when they fall into bad hands.
Social networks are loaded with our information, where we travel, where we eat, how we dress, hobbies, etc. A clear example is when we put that we are on vacation in Asturias and how well I am having a meal eating a cachepot and we do not know if that information we give more can do for example that
Some thieves can steal with total peace of mind and security that we are not at our home. It is a clear example of the consequences of social networks.
That is why we must be more cautious about what we publish. Children today are more aware of what they should put in them, but in the end, it is the parents, who should review what they put. It is very important to raise awareness among children about the dangers of social networks.
Tips to keep our privacy:
- Be cautious with our publications.
- Do not share family data.
- Configure our privacy on social networks: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram …
Each time, unfortunately, it is more common to be in our free time, reading social networks and that is the time that is taken to spend as a family. That is why we must know how to disconnect and dedicate time to the family. Since that causes many families to break, being one of the risks of social networks.
Within this section, we could talk that our children like communications and they handle a lot that we do the mobile, tablet, etc. For whatever it is necessary to have an exhaustive control of what they do.
It is possible to control and select what they will see. Just like when you chat, do we know who the other person on the other side of the computer, tablet or mobile really is?
Tips to make good use of social networks as a family.
- Take advantage of the time we are in the family to talk, perform activities.
- Teach our children the good use of the internet and social networks.
- Explain to our children the risks of social networks if we do not make proper use.
- Not being with the mobile or tablet on the table, chatting or on social networks.
- The smallest of the house, do what they see us.
8.- Connection time
Do you know how much time we spend on social networks a day? According to an AIMC study, it says that 15.25% of Spaniards dedicate more than 2 hours a day to social networks, 15.7% between 1 and 2 hours. I show you the data of the examples of social networks :
Facebook with 85.6% is the most used network, followed by Instagram, with 47.1%, Twitter moves to third place, with 46.4%.
One of the great risks of social networks for children and society, in general, is undoubtedly addiction.
It is considered a disease. Social networks make us constantly interacting with them. And when social networks come to the forefront and your personal links go to another priority it is clear that there is a problem. This triggers in: anxiety, stress, lack of time, drowsiness, bad social relationships …
Tips to reduce connection time and additions in social networks:
- Establish a schedule and make the willpower.
- Disable notifications.
- Disable mobile apps to not be tempted to see if we have been written
10.- Live a false identity
People who show themselves in one way when in reality it is in another way, it’s like creating a fictional avatar but nothing like us, you have to keep in mind that you can run into people like that on social networks, so always remember the phrase “everything that glitters is not gold”, and that does not want you to distrust every person you meet in the social environment but rather to be cautious especially if it is someone you just met.
There are also people who create these avatars with a business objective, that is, not with the objective of deceiving people but rather as a movie person who provided them with business or sales.